Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The new place in town...

The big news in the little apple this week is the opening of our very on Hy-Vee grocery store. I love new things that come to our town and even something as simple as a grocery store makes me excited. I haven't closely followed all of the controversy about development, I know there is some. I am pro local businesses and I am pro development. I think I can be both things. It might be because I am a 'city' girl at heart, but when I walked in to Hy-Vee today it was so exciting. There were so many people and there was this since that we were all experiencing something new together for the first time in our community. There were free samples galore, gobbs of employees ready to help you, and so many products that are hard to come by in our little town. Though overwhelming for some, it was very engergizing and exciting. People were actually talking to each other and it really was like a social event for this community. I know that it will just become a grocery store soon, loose it's newness in this place, but it sure was a fun way to spend my afternoon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Completely agree, we, the kids and I, had brunch there, so many tasty samples. May just go every day, I told my hub I was actually excited to cook now, Caribou coffee is great too!

Unknown said...

of course you can be both things! when big businesses come to town and sell things at a lower price, generally the result is an increase in overall wealth. then residents have a higher ability than before to actually support the local businesses. and i think that's wonderful :) even across the country i have heard many good things about yesterday's manhattan hy-vee experience. glad you had fun!

Shelley said...

You can go by and see the cute Ecuadorian man (my hubby) who works in the general deli/kitchen section! It was an amazing phenomenon yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Sounds like the town is lit up with excitement. Everyone who sells food in town is going to have to step it up to match Hyvee's quality.

Erika said...

What did you think? Price? Quality? I'm excited to try it.

Unknown said...

i heart hyvee. but i also really heart my little hen house market (in the village, none the less) with like 5 isles. :O) makes me feel like i'm shopping at fancy corner market or something. ha. it's the little things! hyvee does have great deals and an incredible health food section though! happy grocery shopping!!!