Sunday, February 05, 2006

Dream Interpretation

I had a dream last night that was bizarre on many different levels. The most random being that I was at a holiday gathering with my family and we had decided that we would make this hoilday thematic. We were all superheros. My mom was Martha Stewart. She insisted that Martha really does possess superhuman powers. I had a bathrobe on, because I didn't know what superhero to be-I just decided to be 'robe-girl'. Pretty lame. Anyway, we were at a hotel and in the hotel there was a starbucks which I was pretty excited about. I went to stand in line and it was a mad house, people pushing and yelling their orders. I finally ordered my drink (white choc. mocha w/ soy) and when they gave me my drink it was apple cider. I told the barista that this order was wrong and waited for my drink. They kept giving me the wrong drink and finally I cracked. I tried to tell a barista that I had been standing there for 20 minutes and still didn't have the right drink. I was very frustrated and just wanted what I had come for. A barista finally told me she knew what I wanted and she would make it. She took out a small tumbler, filled it with ice and began to make a fruit drink. I was really angry and knocked the drink out of her hand and walked away. Observing all of this was a friend who was sitting at a table nearby. He asked me what was going on and why I reacted in the manner I did. It was curious to me and my response was 'I don't know". I'm not sure why I was so angry. After thinking about this all day I've come to some conclusions, dream interpretion if you will....
The mocha represents what I really long for. I was so excited to get this drink and then I was confronted with a chaotic situation. Those in control were giving me drinks that were perfectly good and delicious, but it wasn't my greatest desire. I kept asking for the drink I had ordered and I was constantly disappointed with what was given to me until I couldn't handle it anymore and I just freaked out and walked away. I'm wondering if that is how I am really feeling right now. Like this woman who doesn't know who she is-"robe girl". A woman who has great longings and desires that she's surrendered before God and feels now like she's just getting the apple cider instead of the mocha she's made for. I'm scared that I'm going reject the drinks given to me rather than enjoy what is given, experience it, and wait for my mocha to be made in the right time. This might be a stretch, but it connected with my heart.

2 comments:

Jill Pole said...

Jenni - I can relate and I agree with Greg's comment. I want to learn to cherish the apple cider while not giving up hope for the mocha. I like the metaphor...

alethea said...

I love that you process through dreams! You are even artistic while you sleep :)