Friday, March 17, 2006

Artist Day



It finally happened! I hosted the first ever artist day. The vision has been there for awhile and is shared between a few of us that participated. It was the beginning of something for a lot of us in that room. I was able to offer a space for people to create, explore, enjoy, share, delight, play, reflect, and come alive. More than anything I just enjoyed watching other people creating, feeling the freedom to do so in the presence of others. Speaking from experience as a former closet artist this is hard to do, create with other artists around. I think it is because every artist is a critic of themselves and others, so being around other artists can be challenging. I didn't feel any of this today. There seemed to be this appreciation of one another's art, a willingness to give and receive inspiration and ideas. It's some of our dream to have a place (with some catchy name) where people can come and explore, share supplies and ideas, teach techniques, and learn from one another. Each person that came today contributed something, even those of you that weren't 'creating' in a technical way. You showed curiosity about what we were working on, that is what every artist longs for. Just a week ago, this was all talk and now the vision has been birthed. It's hard to explain, but seeing the dreams of people I love become reality fills me with such incredible joy and satisfaction. I feel blessed to be on this journey with you all.

4 comments:

Jill Pole said...

What a wonderful idea! I always have the desire to create art, but the execution just completely escapes me. I think that most of what I create just ends up looking pretty dumb. It sounds like you created a safe space for expression and a group that can spur each other on. Very cool.

Jenni said...

I'd love it if you'd come the next time we do this.

Jill Pole said...

Yes! Just let me know. I'll be there with bells on. Especially if someone will help me create some art. I have things I want to express, but I have no idea how to do it.

Carmen said...

I'm so sad I didn't come! I'm thrilled though that you did it! I look forward to hearing more about your time.