Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

Just two days into the New Year and the only thing that seems new is writing 2010 on some checks today. It amazes me that depending on my life circumstance, I see time in TOTALLY different ways. When I was single a year seemed like 10 sometimes. When I would go on summer trips overseas 6 weeks seemed like a long time to be away. When I was living overseas for 2 years the months counting down to the time out of country seemed like they would never pass. This past years has gone by so 'quickly'. There have been so many changes, some embraced more easily than others. I had some hard days after Chloe was born! This year brings the promise of more change, only God knows what those changes will be. I am sure I will freak out sometimes, I am sure I will smile knowing that the Lord sees us. I mostly want to trust Him in all of life (marriage, baby's naps, when she will crawl, jobs, friendships, etc...). Learning to trust God all over again in some ways. I think that is the beauty of having a relationship with Christ, that as life changes, he doesn't. He wants to meet me in new ways, show me parts of His character I have never known, change my heart to love Him and others more. I love this passage from The Message. I hope this is a passage I can come back to in the year to come. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.


Here is the wonderful man I get to trust God with, what a gift!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I appreciate these thoughts and reflections so much, thanks.

Anonymous said...

great pic of Brent