Friday, April 13, 2012

On my mind...

I have lots on my mind as I prepare for baby girl #2. The main thing right now is about the delivery of this child. My first labor with Chloe was just fine really. The laboring for 32 hrs, pushing for 2.5 of those was hard, no doubt. But that combined with the c-section that followed was taxing beyond belief on my body. It took a LONG 6 weeks (at the least) to physically recover. So, now I am here in a different medical community (Nebraska) where I have the choice to have an elective c-section or try for a VBAC.  There is actually a piece of paper to sign saying VBAC or c-section that you have to sign prior to delivery. I am having a LOT of back and forth feelings about this. There is no guarantee that I won't have a similar experience if I try for a VBAC...no thanks...and yet the recovery from a c-section is tough on its own. Chloe was posterior (face up) and just couldn't get out. What is wonderful is that I have an great mid-wife who is for us no matter what we ultimately choose. She has a lot of positive energy toward me trying to VBAC (since I dilated fully the last time), but acknowledges that I have some post-tramatic stress due to my first experience and recovery. I could really use some wisdom and prayer about this. I feel confident that either choice would be OK and that God would take care of me, I just want to be wise. I know that either way the outcome that we desire is a healthy baby and mom. I would love to hear any experiences you might have. I know this can be a heated topic, so if you don't want to post on the blog, please email me. {jenni@amazed.com}

4 comments:

Carmen said...

Jenni, I'll pray for you in this decision. It is understandably a difficult one given what happened with Chloe. If you elect for VBAC, I'd say take whatever measures you can to work through the fears and anxieties that no doubt remain...those emotional/mental factors could really affect your body's ability to progress well in labor. Praying for wisdom and peace...

erica said...

I have had 3 natural labors and 1 c-section. Now I am facing my 2nd c-section, and I would have in a heart beat chosen a VBAC... if the situation would have been different. All I know is that there comes risk with the more C-Sections you have. Part of the complications I am having with this pregnancy are usually found in women with multiple C-Sections... and I would just urge anyone to do anything they can to avoid that!
I completely understand it is a hard decision... and thankfully the Lord gave moms the ability to 'KNOW' what to do for their babies! :)
I agree with the statement above... you have to go into it with peace and not fear!!!

Sandie said...

I'll be praying for you as you make this decision, Jenni. Praying for peace that what you decide will be right for YOU. Also praying for a safe outcome for both of you.

Anonymous said...

I understand what you are going through. With our first child I also had an emergency c-section and long recovery. VBAC was not an option with the second (hospital rules and narrow pelvis prevented it). I was concerned about the recovery with our second child since the first was hard and long. Praise God that it was MUCH better than the first time. It still takes awhile to get back since it is major surgery, but not nearly as sore as the first time when I was in labor and had a c-section. I wouldn't want to labor and do a c-section again- I think that equals two births! Praying for you as you decide.