Friday, September 26, 2008

black heels

Tonight I was reminded of my first date with my love. I was so nervous for the date, which manifest itself through what I would wear. I probably seemed very calm to those around my life at the time, but I was filled with nervous excitement. I really wanted to wear something that was flattering and that I felt good in. I really, really wanted to wear black heels with my form fitting jeans. In my mind, I thought the black heels might communicate, 'hey baby'. I guess now thinking back on it, I kind of had that 'hey baby' feeling toward B even then, I just didn't want to admit it. So, after trying on about 4 pairs of black shoes I went back to the black heels and just went for it (still wondering what this fellow campus minister would think). He picked me up on a friday night in February. There was a chill in the air so I threw on my black leather jacket over my pink top and answered my door in my black heels and there stood my future husband. As I was walking down the steps of my townhouse B said, "I really like your heels". My heart stopped a beat (several probably) and I just smiled (wanted to chuckle) with relief. This man, noticed and enjoyed the very thing that I feared might turn him off. Tonight, as I was putting on the same black heels I was reminded of what a wonderful man God has given me. I feel like I have 'black heel moments' often with him. He does such a great job encouraging me to be myself and enjoys me. What a gift.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story. That's pretty special--a great memory. I remember what I was wearing on our first date, too. Funny, I didn't dress up. Looking back it's kind of odd to me. I'm sure I was worried about what I was wearing... Well, I hope you always have a love affair with black heels... I still want some, and I love yours.

Andrea said...

This story made me smile!

Carmen said...

What a gift, indeed! I love that idea of "black heel moments".

Anonymous said...

Awww...great story, Jenni! Wish I could remember what I wore on our first date!